The Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner offers a personalized approach to professional training. A 3-line customizable display and 100-lap memory give you control of your routine like never before.
I have a goal in life. It’s a simple goal really, one that burns bright within me and one that I hold near and dear to my heart at all times. Are you ready for it? I LOVE running my husband into the dust.
Doesn’t sound like much does it? Well when you figure in the fact that he was an All American collegiate track star while I did my cardio in the dance studio you start to get a better picture. See, my husband is a natural runner. It’s easy for him and he lords it over my head. Often he even lords it over my head while running backwards and taunting me down the trail.
At least he used to. Those were the days before I joined forces with my Timex Ironman Trail Runner and took my own training to a new level. Now I’m the one laughing my way to the finish line while he struggles to make it through to the end. I still can’t take him in the sprint, but when we go for distance? Victory is mine oh mine!
Now I’m after him to train with me for a triathlon, a big goal for me for sure. But my Timex Ironman Trail Runner gives me that extra boost of confidence I need to train hard and hit the mark.
Let me tell you what I mean.
Check Your Stats with 3 Line Fully Customizable Display
The Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner is packed with features, many of which we will talk about here, but different features will mean more to different athletes. This is what makes the 3-line customizable display one of the most interesting features of the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner. Having full customization allows you complete control of your data real time and gives you the ability to choose the stats that matter most for your own heads up display. Choose from heart rate, speed, distance, pace, lap time, split time or any number of other features to help you enhance your results and maximize your workouts.
Summary Mode Spells Out Progress
It is one thing to know your stats from a single workout. It is quite another to be able to see how those stats have changed over time. This is where summary mode on the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner comes into play. Allowing you to view long-term results gives you the power to clearly see your areas of both strength and weakness, which in turn helps you target your training and improve your overall performance.
Pair GPS Data with Heart Rate Monitoring
This might be the most entertaining feature of the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner. By pairing heart rate monitoring with GPS data you have the ability to see how your body is working at various points in your workout. Depending on how you train, this may correlate to different types of terrain, specific distances or even speed work. Either way, knowing how your body will react in a given situation will help you train and plan more effectively.
Track Your Workouts with In-Depth Heart Rate Monitoring
Okay, you need to know that there is heart rate monitoring and then there is Heart Rate MONITORING! The Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner takes this feature to the next level with not one or two, but six different facets to monitoring your heart rate.
- Target Zones – Preset zones that you control outlining your desired heart rate at different points in your workout. Move outside of your target zone and an alarm sounds, helping you keep on track and on target.
- Average Heart Rate – Displays your average heart rate over the course of your workout.
- Time In Zone – Displays the amount of time spent in your chosen target zone.
- Recovery Heart Rate – Measures your recovery heart rate after a specific recovery period.
- Max Heart Rate Zone Calculation – Automatically sets your five training zones off of one manual selection.
- Digital Transmission – Safety first! The Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner protects your personal data and does not share it with any other heart rate monitors or exercise equipment.
Keep On Schedule with 5 Separate Alarms
Everyone has an alarm of some kind or another, but the reality is that a single alarm just doesn’t cut it in most cases. This is why the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner takes things one-step further by offering 5 separate highly customizable alarms. Choose both time and frequency to mold this tool exactly to your own personal needs.
Find Your Way Home with Track Back
As someone who loves to run, but was not blessed with a sense of direction, this is a feature that I can greatly appreciate. With Track Back you can use your Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner to help you navigate your way back to a specific point of your choosing. Meaning that no matter where your run might take you, your Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner will be there to help you find your way back home.
Race Yourself with Predictive Finish Time
Once you input all your personal data for a specific run or workout the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner will offer you a predicative finish time. This can be a highly motivating training tool as you push yourself not only to beat the clock, but to continue to grow and improve each time you head out.
Other Features of the Timex Ironman T5J985 Include:
- 2 Year Battery Life
- 2 Linked Interval Timers
- 100-hour, 3-mode countdown timer
- 100-hour timepiece and stopwatch with lap and split data presented in big digits
- 100-lap memory which is huge. You can also pull up all of the Bodylink info that has been recorded.
Timex just recently came out with a newer version of the T5J985. You can check the prices for the Timex Ironman T5E231 Global Trainer GPS Watch here.
- Extremely lightweight, the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner won’t irritate or chafe as you move.
- Large fully customizable screen is easy to read and easy to program. Plus when you engage the handy night mode touching any button will turn on the Timex Indiglo back light for a full 3 seconds.
- Waypoints allow you to set up to 10 tracking points for easy navigation. When this mode is active the face of your Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner will automatically switch to a real time compass, detailing your progress closer to or away from a specific point.
- A high level of versatility allows your Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner to switch between workouts as quickly as you do. Plus the included bike mount and water resistance up to 50 meters makes it perfect for the tri-athlete.
- With a battery life of up to 2 years, this isn’t an issue you’ll be facing all that often. Plus the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner is set up so you can change your batteries at home without sending the unit back to Timex for repair.
- GPS can take several minutes to link with satellites. However, this problem seems to be based on terrain more than hardware. If you have trouble with this feature, try again under a clear sky.
- With three separate pieces to worry about, chest strap, wrist unit and GPS receiver, not to mention the optional data recorder, the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner can feel bulky. However each piece is so lightweight that you’ll forget all about it as soon as your workout begins.
- The arm strap for the GPS receiver is slightly on the short side. However the strap is easy to change out so it can be customized to meet with your training and body needs.
- Battery life for the wrist unit is up to 2 years, but the battery life on the GPS receiver is only 8 to 12 hours. Keep this from being a problem by stocking your gym bag with extra juice.
- Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner Bodylink Heart Rate Monitor Watch
- Chest Strap
- GPS Receiver
- Bike Mount
Timex T5G751 Data Recorder 2: The optional Timex T5G751 Data Recorder 2 allows you to sync your Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner Bodylink Heart Rate Monitor Watch with your home PC. This device works to collect heart rate data along with GPS speed and distance from your Timex heart rate sensor then log that information with the Timex Training software package. The Timex T5G751 is compatible with Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP operating systems.
HeartRateMonitorAdvisor.com Consumer Reviews Summary
There are 32 owner reviews for the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner on Amazon.com. Of these 21 users rated their unit a full 5 stars for an overall rating of 4 stars.
Positive Review Summary
Owners of the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner love its versatility as well as the Track Back feature. Being able to run without worrying about keeping to a course is a huge feature for many users. Overall they feel that the GPS picks up quickly, within 1 to 2 minutes, and offers a clear and accurate picture of their progress. Those who like this unit tend to love it and are very loyal to the product as a whole. They feel that their Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner is easy to use and that the Timex software is very user friendly as a whole. Plus many of them love having the ability to sync their data onto their home PC. This allows them to track their runs and share their data as they see fit.
Negative Review Summary
Some owners of the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner had consistent problems with the GPS receiver, saying that connection took over 10 minutes or simply didn’t happen at all. Many would like to see an upgrade of this facet that allowed them more freedom and increased ease of use. Note that many of these negative reviews are from the 2008/2009 timeframe and Timex has done several upgrades to their GPS system since that time.
Where Can I Read More About the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner?
If you are interested in learning more about the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner then make sure to take a few minutes to check out Amazon. They have several firsthand customer Timex Ironman T5J985 heart rate monitor reviews as well as their own product information and review.
Where Can I Buy the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner?
At this time the only place to buy the Timex Ironman T5J985 Trail Runner is Amazon.com. Just click on the link below and see for yourself. Amazon is known for low prices, great customer service and free shipping so make sure that you check them out for all your shopping needs.
More About the Manufacturer
In the watch world Timex is a name that has stood the test of time. Their products range from the locker room to the boardroom and everywhere in between. Whatever look you are after, Timex prides themselves on having a style for every customer.
Head over to the Timex website to find out more about Timex products and where you can find them in your area.